Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I'm Having a Bad Day tona


As you know, in a previous post, I've had only good things to say about the Alpha Watch Company. They produce a line of homage watches that can't be beat at least not when it comes to price. My own experience with this company and it's products has been a positive one so I'd have no problem recommending them to anyone.

One of their products is an automatic version of the Daytona chronograph. Not that it's really a chronograph, the extra dials are for day of the week, day of the month and 24 hour time. Supposedly the watch is made entirely of stainless steel. My brother-in-law (former Army Ranger) ordered one on-line after I extolled the virtues of this miracle watch company. He's admittedly rough on his watches and this one was no exception. He wore the watch for about a year before the hands fell off. No, really! The hands fell off two of the dials. The odd thing is that he doesn't remember what he did to cause this to happen.

Did you spot the AWOL hands between 8:00 and 9:00?

Signs of wear and tear. The plating has worn off of the "day of the month" pusher.

A shot of the back.

I must admit though, the watch is still running and keeping good time. So, now we have a watch that we could: a) Throw away, b) Throw in the drawer and forget about, c) Try to fix ourselves, or, d) pay someone else to fix for us. I'm afraid that d) would cost more than the watch itself. And I know that I can't bear to throw away anything let alone a watch so a) is out. That leaves b) and c). Unfortunately I don't have the proper tool to open this kind of watch case back which makes b) Throw it in the drawer and forget about it, the winner, Yay!

But seriously, my brother-in-law is pissed.




2 comments:

  1. That is a good looking watch and I understand your frustrations but seriously what do you expect from a Chinese homage? plus the 55 dollar price tag proves that your brother in law got his moneys worth if he wore it for a full year before the quality started to fade, I think it was a good purchase and its about time for an update. Try alpha watch usa, shipping will be faster but may cost like ten bucks more. also I was wondering if you have ever heard o the brand C.T.I? I have a couple Homages of breitling's and Tag Heuer's. Both are quartz but the quality is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right about our unrealistic expectations. Nonetheless I'm still a big fan of Alpha watches. Frankly, if one wishes to wear a watch to beat on one should buy a G-Shock. I tried the C.T.I. watch site you mentioned but they seem to be defunct. I was redirected to http://www.pilot-watch.com/. They've got a large selection worth looking at. Thanks for the tip.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete