Saturday, December 26, 2009

Plastik Fantastik

A couple of months ago I lucked into a limited edition anniversary issue Luminox Navy Seal dive watch. By "lucked into" I mean the following: Fellow collector, Rob Minuteman ordered a Luminox Model #8817 and was accidentally shipped two of them. Being that we're aspiring petty criminals we split the cost and split the watches. We're bad people. Someday I suspect I'll be standing in front of St. Peter and I'll ask him why I'm going to that other place and he'll remind me of a watch I got for half price back in '09. Yeah, you don't want to mess with us, man.

The Luminox 8817 Limited Edition Anniversary Navy Seal Watch came in a nice, zippered, hardshell case which can now be used to carry Tootsie Rolls in.

I got the watch just in time for opening day of deer hunting season. It was nice to have a watch that could be easily read in pitch darkness as we were up two hours before the sun and walking into the woods shortly thereafter. The tritium illumination works like a charm and is surprisingly bright. Gas filled glass tubes are set at the hour makers and each hand of the watch. There is also an illuminated dot at the zero position on the rotating bezel. According to the manufacturer the illumination will last for 25 years. Also, according to the manufacturer, the amount of radiation produced by the tritium is well within legal limits and is harmless. Nonetheless, I try to keep the thing away from the front of my pants. Just in case.

The micro gas light tubes are clearly visible in this picture. Click on the image to enlarge.

By my own measurements the carbon reinforced polymer watch case is about 48mm wide and 51mm lug to lug. The lug width is 22mm. The band is resin (rubber) and the crystal is mineral. The movement is Swiss quartz but I don't know whether it's a Rhonda movement or not. It does have a "hacking" ability which is necessary for military use. Whatever it is, it has lost a total of 2 seconds in the last two months. Now that's good.

A little big for me. The 8817 might look better on the outside of my wetsuit.

The water resistance is claimed to be 200 meters but I'm a little wary of that claim because the crown pushes in and pulls out. Shouldn't a water resistant watch have a screw-in/out crown? I can vouch for the water resistance as far as my shower goes but that's about it. I have to believe though, that the watch is as water resistant as they say since it meets or exceeds Mil. Spec. #W-4637 4F. The instruction manual, however, warns that aftershave or other cleansers may harm the gaskets and compromise the water resistance of the watch. Therefore take extra care when engaging an enemy that may be using weapons grade Hai Karate.

A grayed steel crown that pushes in/out rather than screw in/out.

The mortal enemy of your Luminox 8817.

Also, it's just my opinion, but, shouldn't a military watch have a domed acrylic crystal? I mean, it is made for use by active military forces such as the Navy Seals, underwater demolition teams and Army Rangers not the girl scouts. Glass crystals, sapphire crystals and mineral glass crystals shatter don't they? Flat glass is also much more reflective, isn't it?

Ah, that's right, John Q. Public prefers flat mineral glass.

Complain, complain, complain. The bottom line is it's a great affordable watch even at full price. It's easy to read in light or in dark, it's lightweight, water resistant, is made to withstand the elements and to meet the demands of people whose lives may very well depend on it. It's not allowed to be poorly made. It can't be.

USN SEAL emblem on the case's back plate. Proof of the standards met by Luminox.


No comments:

Post a Comment